Sunday, September 14, 2008

WHERE AM I GOING WITH MY LVAD, WHERE ARE WE GOING AS A NATION?????

I won’t apologize for my last column being about politics, nor will I apologize for continuing to make reference to the ongoing issues with the upcoming election or the incredible unforgivable failures of our government. Many of our government’s failures may seem small, but when you add them all up it shows what a failure our current administration has been as well as a direction we cannot afford to continue. Besides, repeated failures do point to a trend we can’t allow to continue.
I am starting another blog where I will continue to share my political views and concerns regarding the election and our current administration. It will cost you as I certainly will be throwing in my two cents worth.
The other blog will be at: http://josh-politics.blogspot.com/
I will be posting to this site shortly.
Now back to life with “MY LVAD”. I went to a new support group for LVAD recipients this past week. It has been going for about 3 or 4 months with monthly meetings. This last meeting had the largest number of attendees (it includes both past, current and future recipients as well as their caregivers). It is a monumental task for both patients and caregivers to take on this procedure. Adapting to living with an LVAD calls for a lot from the recipient and caregiver, friends, and family.
I was one of two recipients with LVAD as destination therapy, everyone else were caregivers or bridge to transplant. I was surprised how different or how far I have come verses those who are only a 2 or three months post implantation. They still are adapting to living on a power cable or batteries. And most are never left alone. I actually spent two weeks by myself this summer while my partner was away on a school trip. I drove alone, did my shopping, and worked on a couple of home projects. The group meeting certainly raised my awareness of the progress I have made. Most were present with their caregivers as they do not drive alone yet. Although driving, cycling, riding a motorcycle, dune buggy riding is possible allthough not quite encouraged or recommended by our cardiologists, there are those of us who are “MAVORIC ENOUGH” to push or break the barriers of approved or recommended activities. (It is a shame that McCain and Palin have yet to prove themselves as real stewards of change and reform; he has had 6 terms as a senator failing to show reform; and Palin has only pursued her own interests in her short career in politics. I have yet to see them as MAVERICs. OK, I know enough of my stump fodder.)
Today, we cleaned the garage. It is almost like the commercial where a lady has to user her keyless remote to locate her car in the garage. Our garage is not far from that. There is no way we could get two cars in our garage even if they were compacts!). My partner has two artificial shoulders (and an artificial hip), so between us we have enough titanium, we could retire! Anyway, he can’t really lift things over his head. I am not supposed to either, both because of the LVAD tubing in my gut, but also because I have a biventricular pacemaker that has three metal leads going through my chest to my heart. But then, how often have I followed the rules (not very….)
Fortunately it was not too hot today. That is not to say I didn’t work up a sweat, I did. I setup 2 metal “angle iron” type shelves. Then I started going through boxes that haven’t been looked at since we moved here (13 years ago). Old shoes, commemorative T-shirts, Mardi-Gras beads, I couldn’t believe the crap that had been sitting down there. My partner, Don, is a school teacher and just moved from teaching the 3rd grade to teaching the 2nd grade. So we had all kinds of boxes with teaching materials for the 3rd grade plus new materials we have been acquiring for the 2nd grade. Well we only made it have way through. I did all the lifting, surprise…..surprise. It really wasn’t problem except I am beat and can feel my body getting stiff. I need to buy probably about 4 more shelving units to finish the job. Hopefully it will look like someone civilized actually lives here soon.
So it has been a busy long day, but the positive thing is I was able to do it. It would be tough doing it every day though. Maybe in the next support group meeting, I will try and share more about slowly extending ones’ limits. I would say that if I was conscious enough to answer what I thought I would be able to do now a year later after my LVAD implant.; I tell you it certainly wouldn’t have included cleaning out the garage, pushing, lifting boxes weighing 30, 40, maybe even 50#’s. I can do a lot of living with my LVAD.
When I inventory the list of things I can do, it is pretty long. Gardening, walking the dog (Tully – our “parti” Miniature Schnauzer who is a little hyperactive), driving, cycling, work at the gym if I choose. In spite of the exit tube in my gut, I can now (finally) lay down on my left and right sides, or flat on my stomach. I can touch my toes; do sit-ups, crunches, and pushups. I know doing these things may not seem like much to the average “jo”, but they really are significant accomplishments for someone who had to learn how to get out of bed again or how to walk again. Looking back it is really hard to believe.
I remember my physical therapist. He would make me do my exercises even when I didn’t feel like it, but also who would slow me down when I got to aggressive. I must thank him for his incredible drive, enthusiasm, and patience. Little did he know that his therapy would serve as a foundation for what I am now capable of and so much more.
There are a number of things I cannot do that are a struggle to accept. In particular, becoming immersed in water (tub, show, hot tub, swimming, snorkeling or diving) is off limits with the version LVAD I have because of the exit tube in my gut via an “open wound” which connects to the external electrical support and the bladder air exchange. I guess what really made me think about this particular limitation was finding my old snorkeling gear. I remember my gear was not cheap. I didn’t throw them out as I have the foolish notion that someday, there will be a better solution LVAD that would allow me to swim and get wet….or enjoy a plain old fashion shower. Mmmmmm……
I am not complaining as I am doing more than I ever thought possible. I do get tired and need to take frequent breaks, but the fact stands, I am alive and I can still live life! And perhaps I do have something to share that might help someone else discover that recovery has many horizons, and you just have to cross them carefully and one at a time. I have crossed many, but I know my journey will have many more.
Living with LVAD, even with it must do’s and don’ts has brought me further than I ever thought possible. For those of you in the early stages of recovery, take your time as it does get better! Pursue something new every day, another step, another 10, sit up longer, or an extra smile to your caregiver(s). Even go watch a sunrise or sunset as you have had both occur in your life (or seen it happen in a life as caregiver)– but see mother nature doing it. Living with LVAD day to day can seem overwhelming, but it is manageable. Notice how Mother Nature continues to do it every day and we can do it too!
Namastè
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by,And that has made all the difference. (Robert Frost)

No comments: